Travelling to Athens, Greece was such a cool experience I will remember for a long time. Especially since I am such a giant history nerd who loves to read about ancient cultures and the history of other countries. Athens is one of the world’s oldest cities with its recorded history spanning over 3400 years and is home to more than 3 million people today. A lot of the things in Western culture comes from this place. Things like our literacy and written communication, school system, welfare system, mathematics, philosophy, democracy and the list could go on.
Things to see:
1. Acropolis. What would Athens be without its Acropolis? One of the most famous buildings in the world. On the picture about is the ever-so-famous temple Parthenon.
2. Anafiotika. For sure my favorite place in Athens. This place is inspired by the Greek island Anafi with its bright colors, small houses and narrow streets. Unlike anything else you will find in Athens.
3. Aeropagus. It was such an surreal experience for me being at this place. The exact same place as Paul gave his speech in Acts 17. And this place on top of the hill (one of the things Athens is so known for) has one of the best city views you will find.
4. The stadium built for the first Olympics traditionally dated to 776 BC.
5. The parliament where the evzones (the Greek national guard) are always parading in their very characteristic uniforms.
6. Wander around in Athens and you will be sure to stumble upon pastel colored houses like the one above. Certainly not a bad view, am I right?
7. The local food market. Quite an experience.
8. Syntagma Square. The center of the city where something is always going on. Whether it is street performers, artists painting by the street or sellers showing cool products.
9. The national garden. Such a cool place with many things to see inside including lots of different animals like goats, rabbits, a turtle colony (seen above) and a couple other animals. It’s location makes it ideal for visiting when in Athens placed right in the center of the city with the parliament on one side and the president residency on the other.
Places to eat:
- One thing you have to try tasting when in Athens is their well known dish souvlaki with gyros. It consists of french fries, meat, vegetables and some other fun things wrapped in a kind of pita bread. It tastes absolutely amazing!
- When looking for something easy to grab try to Greek fast food chain Goody’s. Their food is served beautifully and you will find yourself eating in a very modern environment.
Things to bring when packing for a trip to Athens:
- Sunglasses. Greece can be really hot during the day and I am so happy I brought my sunglasses along.
- Both cloth for cold days and cloth for hot days. Especially during winter, when it can be really cold in the morning and afternoon and hot during the day.
For more pictures head over to my Instagram @idapahus